15 January 2015

Something is obvious..

I'm addicted to "dusty pinks!" I kept looking at the same 7 colours in my collection today and wondered to myself, "are any of these dupes of another? Would it benefit someone to see these beside each other?" I took a photo to find the answer to these questions and more. Yes, this is a science blog.
















Alright, so what do we have here?

From left to right:
BITE Rhubarb (Bite Remix)
BITE Sable (Bite Remix)
KVD Studded Kiss Lovecraft
Maybelline Matte Touch of Spice
MAC Mystical (LE)
NYX Tea Rose
NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream Stockholm

It's clear from the swatches that Lovecraft doesn't have a dupe in the bunch. It's the most unique colour, a true "dusty" pink. The others lean too orange or too red. I'm certain there's a NARS Audacious lipstick dupe for KVD's Lovecraft (perhaps Anita or Barbara?), but I don't own any to truly make a comparison. Touch of Spice is nearly identical in finish, wear, and pigmentation, but the colours aren't the same. I love both formulas, though.

Rhubarb and Mystical are similar, which is nice since the MAC colour was limited edition. Even the satin finish is recreated.

Stockholm photographs looking more like a nude than a pink, but I don't feel like it looks that way on my lips. Antwerp or Istanbul might be more comparable, though I think they're a bit cooler and a bit more pink.

As far as formula and colours go, even though they are not entirely comparable as "dupes," I want to give you my order from favourite to least favourite. This is taking in consideration wear time and everything else you typically look for in a lipstick.

1. KVD Lovecraft
2. Maybelline Touch of Spice
3. MAC Mystical
4. NYX Stockholm
5. BITE Rhubarb
6. BITE Sable
7. NYX Tea Rose

I love the colour of Tea Rose, but it wears off too quickly for me. I still use it plenty!

Does anyone else have a certain range of colours that they tend to purchase reflexively? A particular shade that peers up at them from their vanities like the start of a small army?

No comments:

Post a Comment