30 December 2014

Pearl is the new nude

I went on a date the other day. I wore a white collared shirt with a navy blazer; all my buttons were gold. I made my eyes up with golds and browns from my Too Faced Chocolate Bar palette. I was ready for the finishing touches. Feeling pleased with myself, I looked down at all the lip colours I had amassed over the years and realized I didn't know what to do.

Do I pair a bold red with this, or do I try and keep it neutral? 

I don't want anything too pink or too brown or too coral.. 

I kept digging. There had to be something.

But then I realized I was out of setting spray and was going to be out all day. I had to go to the store, anyway. Maybe I could look around and find the perfect lip colour for my sexy business lady outfit and gilded eye makeup.

After some searching, I came home with Revlon's Sky Line Pink and NYX's Baby Rose Mega Shine Lip Gloss. I know pearlized and glittery finishes aren't everyone's cup of tea, what with the matte lip and Jenner thing being so popular. But to me, this is a winner. I can pair these two together (or even keep them separate for something super simple) when I'm not feeling a certain colour of lip.

LOOKIT THAT CUTE, BENT DOEFOOT APPLICATOR. AND SHINIES.

Left: Revlon
Right: NYX

captain lumpy face


Sky Line Pink is a pearl finish lipstick. It goes on smooth and is pretty easy to apply without making a mess. Being a really light colour, it doesn't really stain or bleed or settle. The downside is that it disappears fairly quickly (maybe within 2 hours without eating or drinking). I found myself just applying the NYX gloss over the course of the day if I wanted something on my lips but didn't have time to reapply lipstick. It has no taste or scent. I am a big fan of Revlon lipsticks in general and I know I can always pick one out without having looked at swatches and reviews, and I'm always happy.

Baby Rose is a nice every day lip gloss. I'm not usually a gloss person, but this is a super neutral, almost clear colour with green, pink, and gold speckles of shimmer. It can be worn alone or over another colour to add shine. It smells like sherry (to those who have smelled sherry, but otherwise it's a sort of synthetic fruit punch scent, I guess). It's overpowering and it makes me want to drink. I've never tried an NYX gloss before, but I will try other colours in the future. It performs well enough for an inexpensive, drugstore lip gloss.

So my date was successful, and I owe it all to not bothering with bright red, matte lipstick.

No comments:

Post a Comment